WORK WITH US LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA! Sign up before the early bird pricing disappears!
Danny Ozment’s awesome Emerald City Productions! Check out Danny’s service, go to EmeraldCityPro.com/checklist for a free sound assessment!
Come hang with us at Podcast Movement! Sign up with the code shep. We cannot wait to see you there!
No Jess! But a STAR guest! Say hello to co-host ✨Michelle Y. Talbert✨. She came in and brought wisdom and truth to: remembering Adnan Sayed and Serial, HBO’s got the story now, discussing another article chatting about podcast advertising (we all know how Elsie loves that,) touching base on Spotify’s Boot Camp and #WomenOfColorPodcastToo, how Michelle stays focused on her conversation as a thought leader, and Michelle asks Elsie what it takes to run a large community as a white passing latina, sensitivities, blind spots, you know all the juicy stuff.
Speakpipe message! Or you can email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you
Super Quick Re-cap!
- Michelle loves her Y! As she should – meet her, like only Elsie can intro her!
- What Michelle means to Elsie and her grace in bringing conversations forward
- 8:10 Emerald City Productions with Danny telling us to make sure we check out preferences!
- We’ve got problems when you’re guest sounds better than you 😱
- 11:13 NEWS
- HBO and Sky are teaming up to provide the other side of the Serial podcast story with The Case Against Adnan Syed! Woah!
- It’s all about the power of the story and the power of audio to really connect with people
- The ethics of bringing a story forward, which in turn brings up a lot of pain and sorrow for other people
- When bringing wrongs forward again does matter (history that needs to be shared)
- A conversation around the dismissiveness of what’s happened before from the perspective of those that want to sell you ads
- You can get people’s back catalogue, so, what’s the question?
- (CORRECTION – Elsie mentiones Spotify 10% of the app market, that is incorrect, they are currently at 6%)
- Usurping the instincts of the hosts with advertising data, Michelle brings it home with this amazing thought
- Touching base on the Spotify’s Boot Camp and #WomenOfColorPodcastToo
- If all 18 thousand women of color listened to each other we’d have an amazing audience!
- There is a level of responsibility to move outside of the usual suspects in marketing to folks that are the audience that would most
- How do you find shows that you love? We need to be addressing THAT
- Elsie asks Michelle – how do you manage your time as a thought leader?
- How Michelle sifts through all the crap and what being a left nostril specialist
- .#LeftNostrilSpecialistForLife 👊🏽
- Michelle calls Elsie out on her wishy washy-ness – these issues are not about NOW
- Michelle ask Elsie how do you seamlessly straddle the intersectionality of being a woman AND a woman of color who serves an audience of predominantly white women? How do you deal with sensitivities or where they or you/other WOC may have blind spots
- Hard conversations, navigating, de-escalating, truth, race
Links mentioned by Elsie and Jess!
- Leave us feedback via Speakpipe!
- All the Michelle Y Talbert links! Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
- HBO Plans Serial Podcast Docuseries The Case Against Adnan Syed
- The Podcasting Ad Opportunity Is Increasing – And So Are Its Growing Pains
- Kalief Broeder held at Rikers Island for three years without a trial commits suicide
She Podcasts thank-you to our Sponsors!
Our editor John from Audio Editing Solutions. He is so good you need to hire him STAT!
Shop for your podcasting education!
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be stellar if you shared She Podcasts with your fellow women podcasters on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode got you all fired up, head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review.
Ways to subscribe to She Podcasts!
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
Feedback + Promotion for Women Podcasters
You can ask your questions, comment below, go to the She Podcasts Facebook group and even share your promos for your podcast! Let your voice be heard. Send it all to firstname.lastname@example.org