Support our Patreon page!
Communicate with us via Twitter by using the hashtag #AskSheP and of course follow us on Twitter
A rare interview! Can you believe it? With a law enforcement officer at that!
Say hello to Officer Mike Bires, an incredible source of knowledge and expertise on all things cyber security, cyber safety/privacy and so much more.
This is a not to be missed episode, especially by women in such a public forum as podcasting. Once you listen, give us the scoop and let us know one key thing you learned from this illuminating interview!
Super Quick Re-cap Interview Re-cap!
- When interviewing a police officer you gotta always have your police officer hat on
- Separating online personality vs private personality: eliminate the inquisitiveness
- Don’t be a mystery, put it out there
- How the law enforcement agencies have had to adjust to social media and their public faces
- What made Officer Bires interested interested in social media and his baptism by fire into social media
- How does a police officer decide to build websites?
- Holy cow! He teaches other law enforcement professionals how to do this social media thing!
- How to navigate what you say and behave on social while representing your company
- Breaking: there are people that do not like the cops
- What do you call the haters? Trolling? Cyber bullying? Freedom of speech? Hate speech?
- As a government agency, the social media pages profiles of Law Enforcement Agencies belong to the people, and that poses very interesting protocols
- A brief description of cyber-bullying for individuals and companies, and how engagement comes into play
- DO. NOT. ENGAGE.
- You go two rounds with people, that is all.
- Bullying people IRL there are wedgies and squirlies involved, how do you handle it in the cyberworld?
- It’s in the public conversation that we can shift public perception of the trolls and cyber bullying
- Personal side of cyber bullying: do not engage
- Some insight into state-side cyber bullying laws
- Prosecuting across state lines, you had no idea we’d be going there right?
- “So, when will the police be ready?” remember that people!
- And Jess asks, when does law enforcement turn from a cop to a guidance counselor
- Let’s talk about Kim Kardashian and was she being unsafe
- Tips for online safety
- Do a google search on your name
- Do not become a creature of habit
- Turn off your GPS settings on your phone peeps!
- You have to pick your head up
- How and to stay safe at online events!
- Steps to take when you have creepers after you
- How Officer Bires is using podcasting to serve the law enforcement community
- There are some crazy creepy sites out there that have a ton of information on YOU that you don’t even know!
- A super cool series on privacy by
Links mentioned by Jess and Elsie!
- Leave us feedback via Speakpipe!
- The BOLO Podcast
- Abine: DeleteMe
- The WNYC project The Privacy Paradox
She Podcasts thank-you to our community helpers!
- Our editor John from Audio Editing Solutions. He is so good you need to hire him STAT!
- Rebecca Council from CLR Virtual Connections
- Darlene from DarleneVictoria.com
Shop for your podcasting education!
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be stellar if you shared She Podcasts with your fellow women podcasters on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode got you all fired up, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to She Podcasts!
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
Feedback + Promotion for Women Podcasters
You can ask your questions, comment below, go to the She Podcasts Facebook group and even share your promos for your podcast! Let your voice be heard. Send it all to email@example.com