This is an INTENTIONAL TRAINWRECK recorded at the historical Podfest Global Summit! Welcome to She Podcasts On Fire… just kidding, don’t name your show “On Fire.” Also, make sure you are close enough to the microphone, and you aren’t looking at your emails. We give loads of podcasting tips and address ALL of the mistakes podcast hosts make, including branding faux pas, technology blunders, and guest management.
Send us your feedback, email firstname.lastname@example.org! We can’t wait to hear from you!
PRODUCE YOUR PODCAST IS AMAZING! Hire them to do all the things that you really dislike doing
Thank you also to Swell! We love you! People, sign up for it!
EPISODE LENGTH 58:49
- Do not name your show “On Fire”
- Make sure you are close to the microphone
- Stop looking at your emails while podcasting
- Always have water on your desk
- Check your internet connection
- Choose the right microphone
- 5:10 We forgot to do introductions
- 8:00 The mistakes that podcast hosts (the human beings behind the mic) make
- Don’t follow a podcasting guru – it sets you up for a disaster (unless of course it’s us BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA) We are not gurus BTW
- You shouldn’t be getting into podcasting for the money only, because #hearbreak
- Starting more than one podcast at a time – just stop it
- 15:20 Download numbers are down because of COVID, stop obessing!
- Let go of even noticing your stats and keep doing your content
- 16:50 Focus on the things that you can control
- 22:10 Stop getting ahead of yourself
- Don’t join a podcast network unless you have done the research
- 25:05 Just because you’re famous it does not guarantee that you will be a famous podcaster!
- 27:10 BRANDING
- Never name your show something common like “She Podcasts”
- Unless everyone knows your face, don’t bother putting your headshot on your cover art
- 31:40 TECHNOLOGY
- Please don’t ignore error messages. You WILL pay
- Validate your RSS feed for the love of all things holy
- Subscribe to your own show, duh!
- 36:10 GUEST MANAGEMENT
- Nurture the relationships with your guests
- Make sure that the show IS an interview show!
- DO tell peeps if you are going to be doing video! It takes so much more bandwidth!
- 41:15 MARKETING
- Promote your latest episode, but also promote your show
- 44:30 BEST PRACTICES
- 48:25 Questions!!!
She Podcasts thank-you to our Sponsors!
→ Our editor John from Audio Editing Solutions. He is so good you need to hire him STAT!
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be stellar if you shared She Podcasts with your fellow women podcasters on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode got you all fired up SUBSCRIBE wherever you get your podcasts! ONE CLICK!
Feedback + Promotion for Women Podcasters
You can ask your questions by emailing email@example.com. We love audio feedback! Let your voice be heard, record your voice via voice memo in your smartphone and send it over! You can also join the She Podcasts Facebook group !